Do you want to learn more about the Shetland Sheepdog breed? Watch them in action? Perhaps meet breeders and inquire about the breed’s characteristics? Observe them in a conformation show?
One great way to decide if a Shetland Sheepdog would be a good fit in your home is to attend a dog show and obedience trials. Often, these events are free to the public.
Getting up close and personal to these active dogs you get a feel for the grooming requirements. Most Shelties are very energetic and require a large back yard (fenced) and lots of opportunity to run. Being intelligent, they crave to be challenged not just physically, but mentally as well. They are, after all, in the working / herding CKC class. They need a ‘job.’ If not given ample opportunity to channel their energy, barking could become a problem. They thrive on learning anything and everything. Anyone who is a couch potato should look elsewhere for a home canine companion.
At shows, you will also find products for sale – grooming products, limited edition prints, obedience equipment, crates and everything else to make your dog comfortable and your life easier.
2016 Shetland Sheepdog Specialty Shows in Alberta
- NACA Shetland Sheepdog & Collie Specialty: Conformation on June 5, 2016 at Edmonton, Alberta
- Canadian Shetland Sheepdog Association and Shetland Sheepdog Fanciers Club, Edmonton: October 24, 25, 26 2016 at Camrose, AB
All Breed Shows / Trials in Alberta
- Calgary Canine Centre: NADAC Agility Trials, February 27, 28, 2016
- Fort Saskatchewan and Area Canine Association: CKC Agility Trials and Scent Hurdling Trial, March 12, 13, 2016
- Rose County Canine Association: Obedience / Rally Trial at Sandhills Community Hall on March 18 – 20, 2016. See Facebook for RCCA’s Event
- Sit Happens; World Cynosport Rally at Calgary: Rally Obedience Trials March 19, 20, 2016
- Obedience and Rally Match, Camrose on March 24, 2016
- Battle River Canine Association Obedience, Rally, Scent Hurdling in Camrose on March 25-27, 2016
- Pug Club of Canada Conformation Sanction Match in Red Deer, March 31, 2016
- Obedience and Rally Fun Matches, Red Deer, March 31, 2016
Of course, Shetland Sheepdogs can be seen in many other competitions. For a complete listing of more events, see: